Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Writers Read

Today was less ambitious but almost as high-minded as yesterday: it was another library day. I’m going old school this week: early Stoppard and Beckett. And although I promised Aubrey I’d read Arcadia, it’s going to have to wait a little longer because it hadn’t been returned to the library I went to (somebody owes 15 cents) and I was feeling sick and didn’t want to shlep all the way uptown. I was at the Jefferson Market Branch which is very pretty in a story book kind of way, the staircase is in a clock tower, it has non-religious stained glass, and there’s no way for the space to be economically used for books. I have no idea what this building used to be but there’s probably a plaque. It doesn’t seem possible that it was a market. Anyway I picked up The Real Inspector Hound and other plays by Tom Stoppard and Samuel Beckett Volume III: Dramatic Works (it’s part of a very handsome set). By next week I intend to be more enlightened. They’re both linguistic masters, possible the greatest of their respective times and it’s about time I educated myself further, plus I’m watching too much TV and becoming too preoccupied with motion, I need to get back to talk or else I won’t write. (Plus I really like what I wrote after reading Krapp’s Last Tape, even if it is two pages long and requires the hanging of three actresses.)

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for Stoppard! It's funny that you picked up that particular book because we were just talking about DOGG'S HAMLET, CAHOOT'S MACBETH the other day. Or is that why you picked it up? Either way, you can now put our conversation into context, and I won't sound like a crazy person (presumably). I love THE REAL INSPECTOR HOUND, and AFTER MAGRITTE is very funny. DIRTY LINEN and NEW-FOUND-LAND I can take or leave, but overall, I think you made an excellent choice of Stoppard. Like I said, ARCADIA is rather atypical of a Stoppard play; I think you'll find that this book is much more Stoppard-y. But, you do eventually have to read ARCADIA. I might let you borrow a copy if you promise to treat it well.

    ReplyDelete